New Zealand will be moving to Alert Level 3 at midnight on Monday 27 April 2020. For many of us going back to work, things will look a little different. Our goal as a Nation in Level 3 is to restrict the spread of infection in our community. This requires that we all take active Health and Safety precautions and rethink how we do business during this time.
It’s our duty to implement Safe work practices to limit exposure to COVID-19 so far as is reasonably practicable.
All work must be undertaken in such a way as to reduce any possible contact between workers, clients and suppliers to promote physical distancing wherever possible.
Fortunately, we have a small Team who care about the Health and Safety of one another and our families. As we step into Level 3, we will be extending our Bubble of care to include our clients and those we do business with.
- We are committed to working alongside the Government and the Community to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- We will do our utmost to protect our workers, our Clients and the greater Whangarei Community.
- We recognise that we must work together – this means trusting those we work with will keep us safe and that we’ll do the same for them.
There are a few of the changes you can expect to see from our staff during this period:
PPE (Personal ProtectiveEquipment)
To protect both our Staff and our clients from the risk of any community infection, our Health and Safety plan now includes the use of full PPE as assessed to be needed for the job, including the following:
- Disposable Coveralls if required
- Sanitizer / hand washing
Physical distancing is about keeping a safe distance from others. For physical distancing, at least one metre’s separation is required at work for alert level 3, and two metres in uncontrolled environments, like in public.
General Site Arrangements
- Work site is to be segregated into zones (or by other methods) as much as possible to keep different teams/trades physically separated at all times.
- Where possible, apply a one-way system in high-traffic areas, such as lifts, stairwells and scaffolds.
- Where practical, all office employees supporting a project work remotely.
- Breaks will be staggered and a minimal distance of two meters maintained
Alongside physical distancing, we will actively work to keep our contact Bubbles as small as possible. This means making changes to how we behave on site including:
- We will endeavor to keep team sizes as small as possible.
- We will be keep a record of who is in each team every day as part of our commitment to contact tracing
- Nominating one crew member to receive supplies on site
- Keep the engagement with other person as brief as possible and maintain a two metre physical distance at all times
- Limit Vistors to site as much as possible
- Conduct remote site inductions via phone / email
Improved General Hygiene
As Plumbers, hygeine is already an important part of our Health and Safety Plan, however we have introduced some additional cleaning and hygiene procedures. The virus can be spread from person to person or by touching unclean equipment or surfaces. It is vital that all communal surfaces are cleaned and sanitised regulary to prevent the spread of the virus.
You will notice our Staff implementing a regular cleaning routine on site which may include:
- Cleaning surfaces with a suitable cleaner and/or disinfectant.
- Where possible, the use disposable cloths or paper towels to clean surfaces.
- Regular HAnd Washing and/or hand sanitizing
- Before leaving the jobsite, we will wipe down any tables/surfaces with suitable cleaning agents where possible.
- Reusable PPE will be washed/disinfected before reuse
- Tools and Equipment – If possible, tools won’t be shared on-site. If sharing cannot be prveted then hand washing and sanitizing regularly will take place.
- Vehicle interiors will be cleaned before and after every shift
- If a worker is unwell and removed from site, a specialist clean will be completed in the area/ areas identified where the worker was working.
We want you to feel safe when working with the Team at Woods Plumbing and Drainage.
Please feel free to let us know if there is anything that concerns you or if you’d like extra precautions taken on your site. The more effectively we restrict the spread of the virus now, the better it is for all for us.